Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Maori Language Week Awards carved by Te Puia student

A young Rotorua-based carver is streets ahead.

Te Rangikapiki Fraser is of Ngāti Rangitihi and Ngāti Raukawa descent and although he’s only 23 years old, his whakairo (Māori carving) experience spans a decade, “I have always wanted to carve since I was young and I started when I was 13 while I was at Wharekura (Māori Immersion Secondary School) and have been carving ever since.”

Mr Fraser’s achievements are much the same as carvers twice his age.
This will be the second year that he has been contracted by Te Taurawhiri i te reo Māori (Māori Language Commission) to carve the Māori Language Week Awards – something he is very humble about.

As a student of Te Wānanga Whakairo Rākau at Te Puia, Mr Fraser is sure about the path he wants to take “I have come to the Te Puia to further my knowledge and become a better carver so I can teach this art of Whakairo Rākau one day.”

3 comments:

  1. Hay son do you really belive the bullshit that you are potraying?how can you possibly be as good as Te puia is saying if you dont turn up for work!years ahead a? lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who are you? Lol jelous hater! Get lost ya nobody

      Delete
    2. Jelousy never looked good on anybody haha #betterthenyoucouldeverbe

      Delete